What is domestic violence?
Domestic violence is not only about physical abuse, it is also psychological and emotional abuse, involving humiliation, intimidation, demoralization, playing mind games, and isolation. It can also involve sexual or financial manipulation - limiting access to family income or assets, restricting or disrupting employment. It centers on power and control.
- Emotional abuse such as criticisms and put-downs
- Physical violence such as pushing and hitting
- Sexual violence, such as unwanted sex
- Threats against the woman or her children
- Destroying property or harming pets
How healthy is your relationship? Follow this link to take a quiz and check your relationship quality.http://www.loveisrespect.org/pdf/Healthy_Relationship_Quiz.pdf
Sexual Assault is a crime motivated by a need to control, humiliate and harm. Perpetrators use sexual assault as a weapon to hurt and dominate others. Sexual assault is forced or coerced sexual contact without consent. Consent is the presence of a clear yes, not the absence of a no. It can take the form of:
- Child Sexual Abuse/Molestation
- Oral sex
- Forcing a person to pose for sexual pictures
- Fondling or unwanted sexual touching above and under clothing
- Force which may include but is not limited to:
- Use or display of a weapon
- Physical battering
- Immobilization of the victim
If you are a victim of sexual assault please call Desert Rose Foundation where you can begin your journey to health and healing.